Tuesday 10 August 2010

2. Bullet For My Valentine - Fever

So I thought I'd go a little heavier today. After listening to Fever, I'd say it was a choice well made.

Metal is a genre I've never been particularly opposed to, but for some reason I tend to just listen to a few well known songs - Metallica classics, mostly - rather than ever exploring the depths of the genre. So having heard great things about Bullet For My Valentine's latest album, I decided it would make a good starting point. And I was very impressed.

This is an extremely listenable album, feauturing a full range of vocal styles - with screaming and even whispering (in Your Betrayal, easily the best track). I find Matt Tuck to be very skilled at getting emotion across in his voice, and not just anger; there's plenty of lust, regret and desperation thrown in there, too, often within a single track (Bittersweet Memories and A Place Where You Belong).

If anything, I'd have actually preferred some more all out anger-filled tracks, like Your Betrayal, which kick-starts the album. As it is, despite the rest of the album being very consistent, for me nothing on the album's latter half quite betters the opening track, although its climax, Pretty On The Outside, does come close.

4/5 - A very listenable, consistent heavy metal album. Second half isn't quite as good as the first, but I will definitely be sampling some more Bullet in future.

Update: This has since become my first CD purchase as a direct consequence of this blog. £3 at HMV - knock yourselves out.

No comments:

Post a Comment