Friday 20 August 2010

7. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip

So I've been wanting to get into Nine Inch Nails for a while now, and since their latest album is available for free off their official website, I decided to fill my boots. I don't think I've heard anything like it before.

There's a strong distorted feel to the whole album, guitars and the insdustrial-sounding synths in particular, which complement the powerful basslines and raw drum beats. Trent Reznor's vocals I find very unique, in that he can scream and keep perfect control of his voice, giving them an energetic yet melodic quality. I also hadn't realised he was the only official member of NIN, holy crap the man is talented.

The album itself gets progressively quieter, more downtempo and atmospheric as it goes on. The quick-paced 1,000,000 and Letting You are probably the tracks that stand out most, but the rest are still great to chill out to, especially Corona Radiata and The Four Of Us Are Dying, which form a 12-minute build up to the album's climax Demon Seed. This follows the soft, piano-led Lights In The Sky, so plenty of variation.

3.5/5 - Diverse and original, I'll certainly be exploring more of NIN's back catalogue in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment