Tuesday 31 August 2010

8. Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke

First up, my apologies for the intense lack of posts over the last two weeks. I've been mildly busy some of the time, but me 'ceebing' has also had a lot to do with it. However, my listening desires have been reinvigorated, so I'm hoping I can get the one-per-day routine up and running again.

Today it was the turn of the talented singer and multi-instrumentalist Ladyhawke to attempt to wow me, with her debut self-titled album. And she did. Sort of.

Now, I wasn't very clued up on who she actually was before hearing it. For anyone not in the know, her's is a very 80s influenced synth-pop album. But chances are about 40 seconds into the opening track Magic, you'll realise you've heard it before, as I did.

The album was a strange one. There's nothing outstanding on it, and yet all the tracks stand out. Each one tends to go down the catchy-but-repetitive chorus route, meaning they're all memorable if a bit samey. Despite this, I enjoyed the album from start to finish, which is the most important thing.

3.5/5 - Enjoyable and consistent electro-pop stuff, but could do with some more variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment