Thursday 12 August 2010

4. Deadmau5 - For Lack Of A Better Name

Well I've got 16 minutes left to keep this thing going, so I'll keep it quick. Having predictably come across Deadmau5 through Ghosts 'N' Stuff, which features Rob Swire of Pendulum on vocals, I gave probably his most well-known album, For Lack Of A Better Name, a listen tonight.

I wasn't quite sure what I'd make of it, not having had much experience of house music, but I quite enjoyed it. It began with some intruiging wobbly basslines on FML, before the interesting Moar Ghosts 'N' Stuff leads into the rather brilliant Ghosts 'N' Stuff. If you've never heard it, go and hear it now. A brilliant feel-good tune.

That's about as mainstream as the album goes, and the rest is filled with blippy synths and that traditional continuous house drum-beat. It's all good chill out stuff, if unmemorable. The epic ten minute finale Strobe is probably the only standout from the album's second half.

3/5 - A couple of belters on here. House probably isn't my favourite genre of dance, but this ain't half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment