Friday 20 August 2010

6. The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land

Okay so I know it looks like I've completely dingied this idea, but fear not, I've just had a busy week. So I intend to make up for that with a beastly 7 [SEVEN] albums today. Yeah... we'll see how that goes.

I have listened to one though, and that is The Fat Of The Land by The Prodigy, from when they were at the peak of their power. And I'd be surprised if any of the next six can top it.

Obviously I'd heard Smack My Bitch Up, Breathe and Firestarter before - three of the band's greatest songs. I won't dwell too much on them, they're awesome and that's all you really need to know. Great examples of The Prodigy's most punk-influenced phase, with Maxim Reality's gnarly vocals leading the latter two.

That's not to say it's all punk and random samples though. There are some atmospheric synths reminiscent of their early rave days (such as on Climbatize), a style advanced by the eerie female vocals in Smack My Bitch Up and the choral singing in 9-minute epic Narayan. Indeed, there's also an obvious drum 'n' bass influence in the fast-paced finale Fuel My Fire, to complement the band's traditional breakbeats.

4.5/5 - Possibly the band's best moment. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment